Sunday, February 05, 2006

humbled

There are times in life that everyone has, what Oprah would call, "AHA!" moments. I had one of these tonight. You know, it's very easy to forget where we come from sometimes. Living in South East Oklahoma you see a lot of people who are living very hard lives. Unfortunately, after a while you can actually start to become numb to some of the situations around you...until one finally hits close to home. We have so many amazing teenagers in our Youth Ministry that you fail to ask where some of them come from sometimes. You see a healthy looking teenager that is always smiling and overjoyed to help others and make a difference in the lives of those around them and you automatically assume that person comes from a well-rounded home with Godly parents who are constantly loving and supporting them...Until, you begin to develop a closer relationship with that person and find out that their homelife isn't near what you had expected. I was, just so, enlightened here recently. I too grew up in a broken home. One might say, so broken that it was much like a familiar nursery rhyme such as Humpty Dumpty. However, I often forget the past from which I came because, both, the present and the future that God has given me are oh so bright. But, then I see someone in my Youth Group who reminds me so much of myself when I was their age and, then I finally find out just how similar their life is to mine as a teenager. Going though the trials of adolescence with the responsiblities that only adults should feel. Living a life at home in wait for your next opportunity to leave the house. Counting the minutes until bedtime, which is not always pleasant due to your current living situation. Counting the hours until school, that are cut so short by the sounding of a three o'clock bell. Counting the days until church so you can go somewhere that you know you will be loved unconditionally and have the opportunity to worship your creator who is not only your spiritual redeemer but, will also one day be your "physical" deliverer from your current home situation that you are in bondage to. Counting the years until graduation when you can finally say "I am my own man/woman now and can pursue the dreams that God has given me for my life and my family". I remember these feelings all too well and, as I look around myself at the precious young faces that surround me, I am constantly reminded why I do what I do for a living. It's not a job, it's a calling. I remember...and I am humbled.

No comments: