Tuesday, February 28, 2006

burning bridges won't help you mend fences

I really had a great time over the weekend despite having to attend my grandmother's funeral. Jeanette and I went back home to Texarkana on Saturday to attend Pastor Jeff's baby sister's wedding and go to a baby shower for Jeanette's best friend from high school. It was a beautiful wedding and baby shower; we got to see a lot of old familiar faces that we haven't seen in a long time. After coming back home to Sallisaw, OK that night I left out again after church on Sunday to come back for my grandmother's funeral on Monday.

Sunday night I had a great time hanging out with a long time friend, Jackie Allensworth. We played some XBOX 360 and went and ate some double whoppers and came back and played some more XBOX and literally laughed until we cried about old times, and some not so old times. It's great to be able to go back home and drop in and see a great friend like Jackie when I have the chance. We don't ever really talk about anything of significance; we just enjoy each others company a lot. I have not always been the best at keeping old friendships burning, but I can say that one important lesson in life that I have learned is this. Burning bridges will never help you mend fences. Although, I may not be the best at keeping old friendships burning; I will never burn a bridge that will keep me from going back and mending that relationship through God's timing. If you have any old friends that you haven't talked to in a while, even if you may have burned the bridge, I encourage you to call them or shoot them an email this week and try to mend that fence. I believe that God places people in our lives as gifts, and for us to throw away a gift that He has given us is worse than sqaundering away a family inheritance. Make your life more enjoyable today; call that person that you've wanted to call for a while but felt that you couldn't. It'll be worth your while, I promise...

No comments: